The synagogue in Zabrze was built in 1873. It was located at the crossroad of the present Brysza and Karłowicza Streets. The plot was purchased already in 1865, and the formal decision to construct a synagogue was taken in 1871. M. Krimmer Lithographic Institute in Gliwice was commissioned to prepare a draft design and drawings. The construction works began in the same year. Master mason Mateusz Kries was commissioned to build the synagogue. Originally, the construction cost was estimated at 12 thousand thalers, yet finally it rose to 18 thousand thalers[[refr:"nazwa"|J. Knosalla, Geschichte der Stadt Hindenburg O.S., Katowice 1929, pp. 128-130 [in:] D.Walerjański, Dzieje Żydów w Zabrzu - największej wsi w Europie do 1922 roku, p. 44.]].
The synagogue was a free-standing two-storey brick building situated on a corner plot in Ringastrasse (today's Brysza Street). From the outside it reminded of a synagogue built in 1838 in Kassel. Made of raw red brick, it was erected on a rectangular plan. The building was oriented on a north-west- south- east axis. It was built in the 19th-century Rundbogenstil style (Round-arch style), with the elements typical of Romanesque and Moorish architecture[[refr:"nazwa"|E. Bergman, Nurt mauretański w architekturze synagog Europy Środkowo-Wschodniej w XIX i na początku XX wieku, Warszawa 2004, p. 167 [in:] D.Walerjański, Dzieje Żydów w Zabrzu - największej wsi w Europie do 1922 roku, p. 45.]]. All decorative elements, such as corners, window frames and friezes - were made in plaster.
The synagogue had three entrances. Over the main entrance there was a Hebrew inscription which was a citation from the First Book of Moses (the Book of Genesis) 28:17 - " This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven." The main prayer room was surrounded from three sides by galleries for women. The ceremony of the consecration took place on April 2, 1873. It was begun by Rabbi Landsberg with religious songs and a prayer, while the sermon was delivered in German by the orthodox rabbi of Radom, Ferdinand Rosenthal. On Kristallnacht (November 9–10, 1938) the Nazis burnt the synagogue down. In 1098 the synagogue was extended to make it look like the synagogue in Kaiserslautern. The synagogue was rebuilt once more in 1909. On Kristallnacht (November 9–10, 1938) the Nazis burnt the synagogue down. In 1998, on the initiative of Ernest Shmuel, on the site where the synagogue was situated, a large granite stone with a commemorative plaque was founded with the inscription in Polish and Hebrew reading: “For the memory of the Kehilla of Zabrze (Hindenburg) annihilated by the German Nazis during the Holocaust. In 1872 on this spot a synagogue was constructed, which was later burned down on Kristallnacht, November 9-10, 1938”.