The origins of Żuromin date back to the early 13th century. It was initially a petty gentry village known as Żyromino. In 1293 the settlement was awarded to Count Palatine Broda of Szreńska by Duke Belsław II of Mazovia. In the second half of the 16th century the population of the settlement amounted to approximately 200 dwellers.

Until 1489 the village remained the property of Szczygieł family, then Dębski and from 1643 to Działyński family. In 1703 Michał Zdzisław Zamoyski acquired the ownership of the property. In 1765 due to endeavours of Great Chancellor of the Crown Andrzej Zamoyski the settlement was granted Magdeburg municipal rights. Their confirmation was finally concluded in 1767.

In 1715 Jesuits were moved in and settled in Żuromin. Following the dissolution of the Society of Jesus in 1773, Zamoyski family moved in the Order of Capuchin Friars Minor. The Friars completed the construction of the Abbey Church. They continued elementary school which had been established by the Jesuits. It was finally disbanded as a departmental school in 1831. In the 18th century developing local cult of Virgin Mary in Żuromin contributed to the economic prosperity of the town. In 1794 the town was destroyed by great fire blaze. Three years later there were only 90 households left.

The outset of the 18th century saw gradual development of the industry within the town. A weaving factory was established. Development of trade followed particularly in drapery, canvas and shoe making, carpentry as well as grain and horse trade. In 1867 the outbreak of cholera decimated the town population. In 1869 Żuromin lost its municipal rights only to regain them again in 1925.

During the Second World War the Germans demolished a third of the town building structures. The 1960s and 1970s witnessed the town undergoing a modernisation process. Water supply network and sewage system were constructed. Several branches of industrial plants were also located in the area[1.1].

Print
Footnotes
  • [1.1] Miasta polskie w tysiącleciu (Polish Towns within a Millennium), v. 2, Wrocław-Warsaw-Cracow Ossolińsscy Publishing House National Company 1967, p. 527; Jerzy Kwiatek and Teofil Lijewski, Leksykon miast polskich (Lexicon of Polish Towns), MUZA S.A., Warsaw 1998, pp. 1088-1089.