The Jewish cemetery in Grodzisk Mazowiecki was established on the land between the roads leading to Błonie and Rokitno, the latter was later called Żydowska Street. The site is located near a railway station.
The necropolis was established in the second half of the 18th century following the consent given to the Grodzisk kehilla by parson Jan Klemens Mokronoski. Jews were allowed to bury the dead "outside the town, in the designated area, modestly, without any splendor or grand style." Originally, the entrance was situated in the west side of the cemetery. A small mortuary was probably situated near the gate. In 1845 the cemetery was surrounded with a wooden fence, which cost "541 silver rubles and 83 copecks". At that time the area of the cemetery was 104 meters by approx. 72-74 meters. In late 19th century the area was extended to the north by purchasing a plot of land of about 70 meters in length. At the same time the cemetery was surrounded by a brick wall, with the gate being moved to the north. In 1929 and in 1934 more land was purchased to expand the cemetery. Finally, the cemetery was 310 meters long and 62 meters wide (in the narrowest, northern part). By the time a Jewish cemetery was established in Bródno, a district of Warsaw, the Grodzisk beit-kwarot was also the burial ground of the Jews of Warsaw. The cemetery's significance was also stressed by a pre-war historian [[bios:34|Majer Bałaban]], who wrote in 1929: "To explore the history of the Jewish community of Warsaw prior to the establishment of the cemetery in the Praga district , we need to examine the epitaphs in Grodzisk or Sochaczew".
During World War I the cemetery was partially devastated. In its work entitled "Church and Parish of Grodzisk", Father Mikołaj Bojanek wrote that "the Jewish cemetery was robbed and profaned". In 1922 the cemetery was restored, and the fence was repaired. During World War II the Nazis devastated the cemetery, and the tombstones were used for construction works. The brick wall was pulled down, too. Burials were held in the cemetery until the dissolution of the Grodzisk ghetto. On September 30, 1944 three people, at least one of whom was Jewish, were shot down in the cemetery. Their bodies may have been buried near the execution site.

The devastation process continued also after the liberation, partly at the consent of the authorities. In the 1940s the cemetery was transferred to the "Samopomoc Chłopska" [Peasants' Self-Help] Township Cooperative, who stored their machines and building materials there. In 1953 the Office for Religious Affairs gave the permission "to pull down the decrepit wall of the Jewish cemetery in Grodzisk Mazowiecki (....) and to use the debris for building purposes on condition that the tombstones that were left would be transferred to one place and fenced. A petition should be filed to close down the cemetery and to have a lawn sown there . " In time, most of the area of the former cemetery had been occupied by various companies, such as a scrap yard.
For many years the activists of the Social Committee for Restoration and Reconstruction of the Jewish Cemetery in Grodzisk had strived to prevent further destruction of the cemetery. It was finally made possible in 1988, when the fence was repaired thanks to the financial aid of the town's authorities and Jewish organizations. The entrance gate was situated on the Żydowska Street's side. The surviving plague commemorating the participation of Grodzisk-born American Jews in the restoration works held in the cemetery in 1922, was placed at the gate's crown. It bore an Yiddish inscription which read: "The Grodzisk Benefit Association from New York. Year 5682", with an annotation below reading: "July 6, 1922".
On February 27, 1996, the cemetery was entered in the Register of Historic Monuments.
In 2002 several dozens of matzevot were discovered within the area of a property in 3 Maja Street. They had been used for hardening the yard of the tenement occupied by the Wermacht soldiers then. At the initiative of the Association for the Protection of Historic Monuments in Grodzisk Mazowiecki, the tombstones were removed and transported to the cemetery.
The necropolis is located on a prolonged rectangular plot. What has survived until today are over 200 matzevot or their remnants, mostly broken, knocked down or displaced as regards the original burial place.
Some tombstones are most certainly located in situ. The tombstones date back to the turn of 19th and 20th centuries. Some of them also date back to the 1st half of the 19th century or World War II. Few tombstones made of granite stone may indicate that the oldest part of the cemetery had been completely devastated and it used to be where buildings stand today. The tombstone of Tzaddik Elimelech of Grodzisk, died March 17, 1892, has not been preserved, either.
The Grodzisk matzevot are made mainly of sand blocks, crowned with a half-round arch. The inscriptions are mainly in Hebrew, with one monument being inscribed with an Aramaic fragment of the epitaph. Typical of Jewish sepulchral art decorations representing candles and menorahs, hands putting money into donation boxes, holy books, trees, birds or lions, are carved at the crowns of the matzevot .

Due to atmospheric conditions or lack of renovation, all polychromes have been destroyed. Traces of dye may only be found in the hollows of few matzevot. Among the tombstones of special artistic values stand out the matzeva of Herczka Zawower, died 1902, decorated with a subtle ornament of floral twine, as well as the stela of Malka Pletman, died 1907, with a relief of a menorah.
The keys to the cemetery are stored at Zakład Gospodarki Komunalnej i Mieszkaniowej (Department of Community Housing ) at 29 Sportowa Street.
About 20 matzevot were found In the yard of the tenement at 3 Maja Street. Placed with their inscriptions down, they were covered with a several-centimeter layer of sand. During the war, the property was occupied by German soldiers.

Print