The old Jewish cemetery in Łomża (Rybaki Street)

The oldest Jewish cemetery in Łomża was established in 1830 on the high bank of the Narew River, by today's streets of Woziwodzka in Rybaki. The cemetery was destroyed during WWII, and the process of devastation continued also after the liberation. Towards the end of the 1980s the cemetery area was put in order. The preserved matzevot were installed and alleys were built.

The old cemetery is a very interesting collection of matzevot. They were made of plain granite stones, with Hebrew inscriptions, often with convex fonts. Their tops are covered with reliefs typical for the Jewish sepulchral art: they present e.g. lions, crowns, candlesticks or hands performing the gesture of blessing.

Print