The Jewish cemetery in Olesno (50 Młyńska Street) was founded in the year 1814. The deceased were buried next to the Small Church (where the Parish Church of the Holy Body of Christ is now located) prior to that. A mortuary was built in 1868 and the cemetery itself was enclosed within a brick wall. After World War II the local people stole some of the matzevas.

There are around 60 burial stones remaining on an area of 0.5 hectare (there were 200 matzevas there in 1944), the oldest of them dates back to 1862 and belongs to Berta Breslauer (1792-1862)[1.1]. The burial stones are made of granite, sandstone and marble. Decorations and inscriptions in Hebrew and German prevailed. The cemetery is enclosed by a brick wall, the mortuary lies within its borders.

In the 90s, on the initiative of Mrs. Władysława Kotowicz, renovation works were conducted on the cemetery. The area of the cemetery was cleared, the gate repaired and the mortuary plastered. The funds for renovation were provided by the Olesno Town Council (Urząd Miejski w Oleśnie) and Mr. Marvin Meistrich from the United States.

Registry of historical sites (Rejestr zabytków) No. 427/88 from 27.05.1988.

See also:

 

Print
Footnotes
  • [1.1] Cemetery card in Olesno, Wojewódzki Konserwator Zabytków.