The cemetery is located in the eastern part of the town on Krzęczków Hill at 5 Krzęczków Street. It is surrounded by numerous detached houses, of which plots border directly with the fence of the cemetery on the eastern and western side. There is an entrance gate which leads to a closed garden belonging to the cemetery’s caretaker Leon Gawąd on the southern side of the cemetery. There is an asphalt road and a pavement here. In view of their function as a driveway to residential houses they are kept in a good state. At present, here is also a small storage room for garden tools and devices located near the entrance gate

The Bochnia cemetery covers an area of 6500 sq. m. Its origins date back to November 18, 1872, when the city authorities issued an official note allowing for a Jewish cemetery to be built. According to Mr Gawąd, there is no formal ban on burying people in the cemetery, although it was in June 1945 that the last Jewish funeral took place in this necropolis. The person buried then was Samuel Landwirth. He died in tragic circumstances.

The cemetery is fenced far and wide with a metal wire fence built in the 1980s at the initiative of the caretaker, who also directed the building works with financial help from Abusch Hisch, a Jew from Nowy Wiśnicz (who lives today in the USA). The fence, built in place of a two-meter high wall destroyed by the Germans during World War Two, remains in good shape. The cemetery can be entered through a locked welded gate. In its left upper corner, one can find information plates in Polish and Hebrew.

There used to be a pre-burial house located in the cemetery. The permission to build it was issued by the Town Council on October 28, 1873. It was situated near the entrance gate, to the right side. It was devastated by the Nazis, so there is no trace of it today.

Right by the main entrance there is a tombstone of Asher (Usher) Meir Halberstam, Bochnia Rebbe, who died on February 15, 1932. He was a descendant of Chaim Halberstam, the founder of the Hassidic dynasty from Nowy Sącz (Sanz). Decorated with a bas-relief of two lions holding a crown and a bookcase with the Scriptures, the tombstone has an inscription which reads as follows: „Here rests the great rabbi, an outstanding man, a saint and a flawless master and teacher of ours Asher Meir, son of Rabbi Joseph Zeev and grandson of righteous rabbi and master Chaim. President of the Holy Congregation of Bochnia and Galicia. According to the abbreviated count, he passed away on 8 Adar 692. May his soul be bound up in the bond of eternal life”. The tombstone had been covered with an ohel, which was destroyed during the Holocaust. It is marked by preserved fragments of foundations on the ground level. There are three well-kept, modern gravestones of members of the tzadik's family in front of the tomb: his wife Bracha Lea, his daughter Chaya and his granddaughter Teiba, who all died during the Holocaust. The tomb is visited every year by groups of American Hassidim.

To the left of the entrance, there is a mass tomb of the Jewish inhabitants of Bochnia, Nowy Wiśnicz and neighboring villages, as well as Jews from Bochnia, Kraków, Brzesko, Krzeszowice, Mielec, Dębica and from other places who lived in a ghetto between 1941 and 1943 and were murdered by the Germans in the years 1939–1945. Around 300 people lost their lives in executions conducted in the cemetery. A monument commemorating the murdered ones was unveiled in the 1960s. It was built of damaged and broken matzevot. It is surrounded by hedgerow. The building of the monument was initiated and financed by Mendel Reichberg, Abusch and Josef Hirsch, while the construction work was supervised by Mr Gawąd.

Within the necropolis there is a military cemetery number 313, in which Jewish soldiers fallen during World War One are buried. The soldiers in question include 19 Austrians from the 80th infantry regiment, 22nd and 23rd rifleman regiment as well one Russian soldier. The full names of fourteen of the fallen soldiers are known to us. The monument comprises of two rows of identical, concrete matzevot, ornamented with the Star of David. There are 20 of them in the first row and eight in the second one, with a large matzeva in the center. In the 1990s the central matzeva was ornamented with a commemorative plaque with inscriptions in Polish and Hebrew, donated by Mendel Menachem Reichberg and his sons.

There are around 700 matzevot and gravestones in the cemetery, although, as the caretaker relates, the total number of the preserved tombstones is 870. The first funeral took place here in 1873. The oldest matzevot are situated in the northern part of the graveyard. The vast majority of them are made of sandstone. Dismantled and robbed by the Germans, the old, granite gravestones have not been preserved until the present day. The newest plaques, donated by the relatives of the buried here people, were made of granite. Over 70 percent of all the gravestones are in good shape, with inscriptions renewed and improved by the students of Art High School in Nowy Wiśnisz, in Polish, Hebrew, Yiddish and German.
In the north-western corner, a bit out of the way, there is a grave of Estera Szechter, a Jewish woman, who committed suicide.

The area of the cemetery is overgrown by a variety of tree species. Many of them are worth mentioning, especially the maples planted by Mr Gawąd in the 1950s that were supposed to show the boundaries of the cemetery until the construction of the fence was completed. The other ones which are mostly "self-planted" are distributed haphazardly and include lindens, horse chestnuts, ashes and hazels. These are healthy, lush trees with the diameter of their trunks ranging from 50 cm to more than one meter. Broken branches falling down from trees could pose a threat to the matzevot lying beneath them. However, the greatest problem is the leaves and their removal, which is very troublesome and time-consuming.

Thanks to the efforts made by Leon Gawąd and the deceased rabbi Mendel Reichberg, the cemetery is considered to be one of the best maintained Jewish cemeteries in Małopolska Province. The grass is mown a couple of times a year and the lying leaves and branches are removed. 

A comprehensive inventory of the Bochnia cemetery was taken in 1989 by an employee of a local museum, Iwona Zawidzka, which became the groundwork for the book entitled Miejsce święte dla wszystkich żyjących, czyli rzecz o cmentarzu żydowskim w Bochni (A sacred place for all the living: a story of the Jewish cemetery in Bochnia), published in 1992.

The cemetery was listed in the Register of Historical Sites and Monuments und set the number A-326 on December 13, 1989.

Print