Information about the Jewish presence in Jadów dates back to as early as the end of the 17th century. However, the Jewish inhabitants of Jadów were referred to for the first time in the 1760s. At that time, the local Jews were engaged in lending, tavern leasing and small-scale trading. The Jewish community in Jadów was most likely established in the 19th century. For years, the Jewish inhabitants played a significant part in the development of social life in Jadów. In 1830-1860, a tallit factory operated in Jadów.
In 1885, the construction of a synagogue was completed. Five years later, a new beth midrash was established, as well as shtiebels for the tzadik followers from Góra Kalwaria, Serock and Aleksandrów.
In 1897, Jadów, with a population of 1,797 people, was inhabited by 1,272 Jews. In 1921, the village was inhabited by around 1,500 Jews, which was 75% of its population. Although the community was Orthodox, the ideas of Zionism and the Bund had followers in the town. Zionism was particularly popular in the 1930s when the Jewish community had to face the increasing anti-Semitism.
After Jadów was seized by the German troops, the Jewish inhabitants of Wyszków, which was burnt down, were resettled to Jadów as early as in autumn 1939. At the beginning, they lived in the Jadów synagogue. In autumn 1940, a ghetto was established in Jadów, to which the Jews displaced from Pułtusk, Nasielsk and Żuromin were transported. By June 1941, 2,787 people were crowded in this small area. Famine and the spread of illnesses led to the death of numerous inhabitants of the ghetto. In 1942, the ghetto was liquidated, and its inhabitants were transported to the Treblinka extermination camp. During the ghetto’s liquidation, the Germans murdered around 600 people in Jadów, including large numbers of children. The victims were buried in a mass grave in the cemetery.
- "Jadow", [in:] The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, ed. S. Spector, G. Wigoder, vol. 1, New Jork 2001, p. 527.
- Sefer Jadow. Jadow bukh, ed. A. Wolf Jasni, Jerusalem, 1966.