Synagogue “Ner Tamid Beth Midrasz” (“Eternal Flame of Candles”)
The first synagogue was constructed in Białystok in the first quarter of the 17th century. According to historical sources, about 1700, the Białystok rector leased a plot of land to Jews (so-called “pastewnik” in the neighbourhood of Suraska Street) for the construction of a synagogue. The exact date of its construction is unknown; it is supposed that it could have been constructed in 1711, 1715 or in 1718[1.1] . At present the building does not exist.
 

Print
Footnotes
  • [1.1] See: A. Dobroński, Białystok..., p. 135, compare: T. Wiśniewski, Ważniejsze..., p. 8; there, Bóżnice..., p. 135.