"Pułkowa" synagogue was located on Nadrzeczna Street, its front facing Mikołajewska Street (currently Sienkiewicza Street). A 3-storey masonry building with a classical façade, covered with a double-pitched metal sheet roof, was erected in 1861. Its commonly used name “Pułkowa synagogue” (Regiment synagogue) refers to the regimental orchestra performance at the official opening of the synagogue, at which the Tsarist administration was present[1.1]. “Sewastopol Szpot” was yet another common name, referring to the Sewastopol fortress (the synagogue was often flooded by the Biała river which flew along Nadrzeczna Street, hence the fortress association).
“Pułkowa” synagogue was the third most impressive Jewish landmark in the city. In the interwar period it was a favourite synagogue of Polish soldiers of Jewish origin. Germans blew it up in 1941, together with Soviet soldiers who barricaded themselves inside.
- [1.1] T. Wiśniewski: Bożnice Białostocczyzny, (1992), 137.